This is a video of an Olive Oil Tasting of “mer des oliviers de Delphes” extra virgin olive oil in our own premises in the valley of Delphi. You may see in the background the olive grove of Delphi which is the most ancient olive grove of Europe, more than 5000 years old.
Vasilis & Vassilis Kanatas, Delphi, Greece. 12th of August 2020
Mer des Oliviers de Delphes notched its third win at the world’s most prestigious olive oil quality contest.
“The November 2019 harvest was great here in Delphi. The weather helped to make a good olive harvest and direct oiling at 25 degrees Celsius. We are happy with the very good result of our effort,” company co-owner Vasilis Kanatas said after learning of the award.
The winning oil was Mer des Oliviers de Delphes, a medium Amfissis, which took a Silver Award in the world’s most prestigious olive oil contest. The company produces its extra virgin olive oil in Amfissis using traditional methods.
“Winning another award in the New York competition is for us a very big step for the global recognition of Delphi olive oil. We want to send the message that Europe’s oldest olive grove in Delphi can produce high-value olive oil. The New York competition is for us the highest step in recognizing our olive oil. Thank you!” Kanatas said.
The NYIOOC World Olive Oil Competition, held each spring in New York, is the world’s largest and most prestigious olive oil contest and its annual listing of award winners is considered the authoritative guide to the year’s best extra virgin olive oils.
The complete list of winners can be viewed on the Official Index of the World’s Best Olive Oils
Article By Masha Richart, Olive Oil Times, 13 May 2020
The Professor of Immunology at the University of Jaén José J. Gaforio offers us a practical guide how to deal with the confinement situation at home and how to fight against coronavirus. Essential weapons in this guide are extra virgin olive oil consumption and exercise at home.
Our immune system is responsible for fighting the virus. Consequently, enhancing our immune defense is important for the treatment of the virus, as immune suppression is known to increase the risk of a more serious form of infection. Proper nutrition can help improve the immune system. What should we do about it?
• Follow the Mediterranean diet enriched with extra virgin olive oil, scientific evidence suggests that this way you will stay healthy and fit. The consumption of olive oil increases the number of human cells involved in the body's defense.
• Check the amount of food you eat.
• Priority for foods of plant origin to those of animal origin. Beets, celery, artichoke, eggplant, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, asparagus, leeks, mushrooms, carrots and peppers should be part of your diet.
• Eat seasonal, local and fresh foods.
• Eat salads that include lettuce, tomato, olive and onion, among others. It is important to treat the salad with virgin olive oil and vinegar, not with sauces that normally have an excessive amount of calories.
• Be careful with the salt. Pepper can be a good alternative.
• Fruits are the dessert option, do not skimp on desserts that are usually high in sugar.
• Eat meat in moderation.
• Eat fish, which is highly advisable with cold water fish such as salmon or trout, for example.
• Legumes are highly recommended.
• Use spices to taste the food.
• Now that you have more time, go to the kitchen and dare to make new dishes. If you have children involved in making food, it can be a great time to share with them and teach them good eating habits. All family members must be involved.
• Do not order ready-made food for the home. Cook! Make it like a hobby.
• No fried foods.
• Avoid processed and pre-processed foods that require a minimum preparation time before consuming.
• Enjoy your family food now that you can, giving it the time it deserves and creating a warm and enjoyable atmosphere.
• Keep adequate hydration, water and herbal tea are recommended.
• Always use extra virgin olive oil as the only source of fat in cooking.
• Finally, do some home exercises that you can share with the rest of the family. It is important to do activities together, they can be very enjoyable moments to play.
In the Land of Delphi there are perennial olive trees that can produce extra virgin olive oil. We have collected this olive oil and deliver it to you in a thoughtful package corresponding to the valuable content.
We are very pleased to announce the Silver Medal Award for our extra virgin olive oil at the Los Angeles 2020 International Olive Oil Competition.
Dozens of countries and producers of premium extra virgin olive oil participated from 4 to 6 February 2020 in the LAIOOC 2020.
It is noteworthy that ‘mer des oliviers de Delphes’ was the only olive oil from Amfissis olives that was distinguished in the competition!
We are delighted and proud that the area of Delphi produces excellent quality olive oil!
The counties that participated in the compatition are the following: Spain, Italy, Greece, Tunisia, Turkey, Portugal, Israel, Argentina, U.S.A., Croatia, China, France, Lebanon, Japan, Morocco, Slovenia, Chile, Peru, Uruguay, etc
Vasilis & Vassilis Kanatas
mer des oliviers de Delphes
huile d’olive vierge extra
We are excited to announce that the new harvest has began in the area of Delphi on November 20, 2019. For another year we had to wait until the end of November because of the warm weather. The olives are already matured and thus harvested by hand and with the special equipment for this work.
The acidity of the olive oil, produced in cold pression at around 26 degrees Celsious, is only 0,18
Our company ‘mer des oliviers de Delphes’ is already bottling the extra virgin olive oil of the new harvest in our private bottling facilities certified by ISO 22000:2005, in Delphi.
We are happy to announce that our company V. & V. KANATAS G.P. has the right, according to the EU regulations, to bottle our own extra virgin olive oil in our facilities in Delphi.
Since the beginning of March we have been provided with the special alphanumeric code from the Ministry of Development. This code is given in accordance with the EU Directive on the bottling of olive oil.
In our constant effort to make better products, we also managed to certify the process of Extra Virgin Olive oil bottling through the internationally recognized certificate ISO 22000:2005.